4Gauge vs Pre JYM – which pre workout is better at boosting your muscle pumps, increasing energy levels, and enhancing overall workout performance? Which one tastes better?
If you’ve asked yourself any of these questions, here’s a short summary of our article, after which you can read the full comparison at your leisure!
At a Glance
- 4Gauge is 100% natural, Pre JYM contains an artificial sweetener suclarose
- Pre JYM has 13 ingredients, 4Gauge has 8
- 4Gauge offers 1 extra bottle for free+free shipping if you buy 3 bottles
- Both products contain 20 serves per bottle, but Pre JYM is a few bucks cheaper
- 4Gauge’s ingredients are better dosed, while Pre JYM contains high amounts of caffeine which can lead to side effects
- Pre JYM comes in a few different flavors, 4Gauge exclusively in “Fruit Punch”
- Both products and their respective companies boast excellent reviews
- 4Gauge is our winner overall, due to a cleaner formula and the inclusion of some key ingredients for reducing fatigue and promoting mental boost (e.g. Rhodiola Rosea, Acetyl L-Carnitine)
– Both supplements are available on their websites –
4Gauge vs Pre JYM – How do They Work?
4Gauge is an all-natural pre workout designed by a specialist sports company Roar Ambition. The red bottle, which looks like an ammo shell, reflects the “explosive power” of 4Gauge, guys from Roar Ambition told us.
One scoop of 4Gauge taken 15-45 minutes before your workout is designed to help you:
- Boost muscle pumps – feel stronger, look bigger
- Optimize the Central Nervous System – have more energy, train harder for longer
- Increase concentration – clean focus, no twitchiness or energy crashes
4Gauge comes exclusively in Fruit Blast Flavor that is 100% natural and only has 5 calories per serving! We found it to be great tasting, the aroma is not too intense, and it doesn’t leave an artificial aftertaste.
4Gauge costs $45 per container (20 servings), but when you buy 3 bottles of 4Gauge you get 1 extra bottle for free + free US and UK shipping. The product is only available on the official website, and the good thing is, they offer fast and easy checkout option (including Amazon Pay, PayPal Express).
Official Website: https://www.4gauge.com/
Pre JYM Overview
Pre JYM is a supplement designed by JYM Supplement Science, a company founded by a well-known fitness guru Jim Stoppani.
It’s a strongly dosed pre-workout with 13 performance boosters that are claimed to help you achieve better training sessions.
The good thing about Pre JYM, just like with 4Gauge, is that it’s free of proprietary blends. So you know the amount of each ingredient inside.
With Pre JYM, you’re promised:
- Improved muscle growth
- Increased energy levels and strength
- More intense workouts in the gym
Much like 4Gauge, Pre JYM is best taken 15-45 minutes before your training sessions to have the full impact.
One bottle of this product costs about $38 depending on where you buy it. It’s available on the official website, as well as Bodybuilding.com and some other retailers. Each bottle of Pre JYM has 20 servings!
Pre JYM isn’t all natural, but it uses some excellent ingredients for a pre-workout.
It’s a bit cheaper than 4Gauge, but does it offer the same value and effectiveness, or better?
We look at the ingredients below.
4Gauge vs Pre JYM – Ingredients
4Gauge packs 8 key ingredients that start working within about 15 minutes of ingestion:
- L-Citrulline DL-Malate (6,000mg) – the best natural ingredient for muscle pumps, excellently dosed too.
- Creatine Monohydrate (1,000mg) – creatine boosts workout efficiency by helping you train harder for longer. A dose of 1,000mg is perfect – it’s healthy for long-term use!
- Acetyl L-Carnitine (500mg) – This nutrient helps shuttle fats into your mitochondria to be used for energy, helping your body to tap into multiple energy sources. It’s also a great cognitive booster and brain cell protectant.
- Red Beet Root Extract (300mg) – This has been shown to raise nitric oxide levels in the blood, leading to fuller muscle pumps and by extension, better overall performance.
- Coconut Water Powder (300mg) – Nutrient-rich and packed with electrolytes, coconut water is a healthier alternative to sports drinks that hydrates and buffers your muscles for better performance as well as recovery after your workouts.
- L-Theanine (250mg) – L-Theanine is the clever part of 4Gauge. It helps stabilize the effects of caffeine, prolonging its energizing benefits while smoothening out the comedown. L-Theanine has some benefits of its own too, including a boost in mental focus and a reduction in fatigue.
- Caffeine Anhydrous (150mg) – This is an absolutely essential ingredient in a pre workout, and comes in a clean form and it’s excellently dosed too.
- Rhodiola Rosea Root Powder (100mg) – Rhodiola is a very underrated pre workout ingredient, it optimizes your energy production on a cellular level. So unlike caffeine, it doesn’t stimulate you. Rhodiola fights fatigue and makes you more resilient to physical and mental stress, which is why it’s been used by Vikings and Russian Soldiers for so long.
The 4Gauge formula is clean with no sight of proprietary blends. With only 5 calories per serving, 4 Gauge is also 100% natural and sweetened with Stevia and Monk Fruit.
Our Thoughts on the Formula:
We think that 4Gauge’s makers have done a great job making this product. With 8 essential pre workout ingredients in our eyes, it’s a complete formula that will give you increased muscle pumps, better physical performance, and increased mental focus and motivation to see your workouts through.
Coupled with the fact that it’s completely natural and dosed within clinically researched limits, it’s a whole package.
In each scoop of Pre JYM (25g) you’ll find 13 active ingredients:
- Creatine HCl (2g) – Creatine is a good ingredient for overall performance and energy production. 2g is still within the safe limits for long-term use, but if you have any kidney problems, then be sure to speak to an MD before taking it, especially in a dose that’s higher than 1g a day!
- Beta-Alanine (2g) – This prolongs time to fatigue and may improve your lifts by 1 or 2 extra reps.
- Betaine (1.5g) – Similar to beta-alanine, this is a molecule that can improve your workout efficiency.
- Taurine (1g) – This can actually make you sleepy. It raises GABA, which is a relaxing brain chemical messenger. We don’t think this is the best choice for a pre workout.
- N Acetyl L-Cysteine (600mg) – Improves cognition and cellular function by replenishing your master antioxidant glutathione.
- Alpha GPC (150mg) – A cognitive enhancer, a very good choice for improving memory and long-term information retention. You probably won’t notice an immediate benefit, though.
- Citrulline Malate (6g) – Great for muscle pumps.
- Beet Root Extract (500mg) – Same as with 4Gauge, it’s an excellent choice for muscle pumps.
- BCAAs (L-Leucine, L-Isoleucine, L-Valine) (6g) – Great for recovery and muscle nourishment, but may reduce mood and appetite in some users.
- L-Tyrosine (1,5g) – Tyrosine improves mental focus during stress, including intense exercise. It achieves this by raising your natural dopamine levels in the brain. 1,500mg is a bit too high for long-term supplementation though, as it can put other brain chemicals like serotonin out of balance.
- Caffeine Anhydrous (300mg) – It boosts energy and improves your workouts, but the dose of 300mg may be too high for some.
- Huperzine A (50mg) – This is a nootropic ingredient extracted from Toothed Clubmoss, it’s been shown to boost memory. However, you should cycle it every few weeks, because continuous long-term use has been linked to headaches and other side effects.
- Black Pepper Extract (5mg) – This is smart choice by Pre JYM, because it helps improve the absorption of the whole formula.
Pre JYM has 70 calories per serving compared to 4Gauge’s 5. Which isn’t a huge deal unless you’re really strict about your diet or in those last phases of your cutting phase.
You’ll also notice that Pre JYM contains “suclarose” under other ingredients. This is an artificial sweetener, not a great one at that! It’s been shown to cause a slew of adverse health effects, including altered gut microbiome and potential neurotoxicity.
So in that sense, Pre JYM doesn’t fare well against 4Gauge’s natural formula. But what about it’s overall effectiveness?
Our Thoughts on the Formula:
Pre JYM has a more aggressive dose of caffeine (300mg vs 150mg in 4Gauge). You’ll love this if you’re tolerant to caffeine and if smaller doses don’t give you the boost they once did.
However, if you get ‘twitchy’ and experience energy crashes from higher doses of caffeine, then 300mg could prove to be too much, and cause you a slew of other side effects as well.
Other ingredients in Pre JYM look good. BCAAs will help replenish your muscles while you train, however, they also reduce serotonin brain levels, which can make you feel moody and ‘down’. This is why some bodybuilders love BCAAs, while others who’re more sensitive to their negative side effects don’t like them. It all boils down to your unique body chemistry.
Which Ingredient Profile Looks Better Overall?
It’s ultimately down to your personal preference, but we will go with 4Gauge.
Because, it’s 100% natural compared to Pre JYM which contains synthetic sweeteners. 4Gauge is also more sensibly dosed so you can experience the full muscle pump and performance benefits without risking side effects or energy crashes.
With that said, you can easily “double scoop” 4Gauge if you want stronger effects.
4Gauge vs Pre JYM – Side Effects
In terms of side effects, 4Gauge is unlikely to give you any. The 150mg of caffeine per serving is a dose that most people will tolerate extremely well – giving you plenty of clean and stable energy for your lifting sessions.
Pre JYM is more aggressive, which can be a huge benefit for some, but also cause side effects for others. 300mg of caffeine is quite a lot, so if you’re not used to that, it may give you:
- Mood swings
- Energy crashes
As we mentioned, there’s also the issue with suclarose in Pre JYM. It’s been shown in some studies to be harmful to our gut health, and may even be detrimental to cognitive function.
But if you’re used to having high amounts of caffeine throughout the day, and if you don’t mind the Sucralose, then Pre JYM is an excellent choice and shouldn’t cause you much trouble!
4Gauge vs Pre JYM – Customer Reviews
4Gauge and Pre JYM both enjoy excellent reviews online.
As we said, it ultimately boils down to your personal preference.
Some users prefer the cleaner energy and pumps they get from 4Gauge, while others like the more aggressive effects of Pre JYM.
The same goes for flavor – some prefer the natural, sweet aroma of 4Gauge, while others don’t mind the aftertaste of artificial sweeteners in Pre JYM.
In terms of mixability, both products are great and should dissolve within seconds of you mixing them with a spoon, or shaking in your shaker bottle.
The Bottom Line
So that finalizes our 4Gauge vs Pre JYM review.
While both are excellent products with excellent ratings online, there can only be one winner.
For us, the winner is 4Gauge.
Not only is it 100% natural, tastes great and dissolves instantly, it also contains some of the best pre workout ingredients in their clinically researched dosed. It’s very safe and effective. As far as price goes, it costs a bit more than Pre JYM but the price goes down drastically when you buy multiple boxes (buying 3 gets you 1 extra bottle for free), along with free fasts worldwide shipping.
Pre JYM is not a bad choice by any means, but it’s not 100% natural (contains an artificial sweetener) and some of its ingredients are too aggressively dosed for our liking. One advantage of Pre JYM is that it offers more flavors.
So if you don’t mind the high amounts of caffeine and suclarose in Pre JYM, you can’t go wrong with either one!